Thursday, January 10, 2013

Real Major. Real Life. Real Awesome.

I have the best major ever. 
of course that statement is bias. 
but I study how to create a better life through recreation.
Essentially I'm learning how to use fun professionally. 
and that is RAD.  

RECM300, Creating a Good Life through Recreation, I've had it two times so far. I'm already in love with it. 
The very first day of class our professor asked us to write down our definition of happiness. 

Happiness: adj. a state of being. when one feels connected with those around them and has meaningful direction & fulfillment. can be temporary or lasting depending on the source. SYN: passion, energy, control, content, peace, flow. 

Happiness is a good life. 

Good life is a general well being. A balance of the full range of emotions. 

He then asked us to define recreation & leisure

Recreation & Leisure: FUN! doing the things you love and want to do. Enjoying small moments & seeing beauty around. SYN: Light hardheartedness. pleasure. time. free. 

Our professor put this definition up: Aspects of your life that are freely chosen and intrinsically motivated. 

I feel like I have had a pretty good understanding about what this field was about, helping people replace bad habits with good ones, helping them heal through recreation, letting them have therapy time that isn't viewed as intensive, but it has never hit me as hard as it did in that class. 

Recreation & leisure, like anything, can hold a positive or negative influence. It is all in what you decide, or are motivated to do as a recreational activity. It will be my job to help people want to choose and make the changes that will bring happiness. 

and we do this with fun. 
we do this with patience.
we do this by studying theories of happiness.  
we do this by applying it in our own life. 
we do it by loving. 

I couldn't be more excited about the direction my life is heading. 

Guys. life is so great. 

[in other news]

I applied back in November to be a counselor in New York this Summer at a camp for children with communication disorders an autism. Full on Therapeutic Recreation. I got a phone interview, it feel it went well, and they said I should know by January 13th if I got the job or not. 

I may or may not have been checking my email obsessively. 

No comments:

Post a Comment