Sunday, May 2, 2010

The optimist

Location: Ze office

Listening to: She & him

Avoiding: CALCULUS. multiple choice is the vain of my existence.

today, children, we talk about optimism.

I have been recently told that "my optimism button is stuck in the on position." According to this person, I am what they like to call a "Blind optimist." I do believe this to be quite the contrary.

Optimism is defined by Websters as, an inclination to put the most favorable construction upon actions or events or to anticipate the best possible outcome. Some may say that this is simply done by ignoring the problem. That my friends is foolish. I would agree that blind optimism is not the right way to go about your problems. However, there is nothing wrong with being positive- which I do believe I have come to have a very good grip on.

I would call myself an optimist. And I'm not ashamed of that. When I have problems, I don't automatically think, "well this is never going to be fixed." or some other negative-straight-to-jail-do not-pass-go thought. I don't intentionally seek out bad situations. Rather, I assess the situation, and try to take the least negative route of dealing with the problem. And sometimes, the only thing you can do is hope for the best and push forward and take what comes your way in stride. Not to say that things don't bother me, they do. I, like any other person, have ups and downs, but how I deal with them is the biggest difference. It is said that optimism is a learned trait, as is pessimism. It has largely to do with environmental factors. Put simply, optimists emerge from difficult circumstances with less distress than that of pessimists. Even research has shown that optimists seem intent on facing problems head-on, taking active and constructive steps to solve their problems; pessimists are more likely to abandon their effort to attain their goals.

I may color my thoughts with the brightest of hues, and you may call me ignorant and annoying but it's not going to change anything. This is who I AM. I am an optimist. I am positive. I am colorful. I am complex. I am NOT ignorant. I will always shine, weather you like it or not. But sometimes, we just have to accept people as they are. I am learning every day. There is nothing wrong with being positive. Nothing wrong with wanting to do good. Nothing wrong with being me. Colorful. Loud. Optimistic. Outgoing me. Don't hate me for it. Learn to love it.

I can't help but have personality.

It's too much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment