Wednesday, July 3, 2013

For Superman, and my sister!

Yesterday was really hard. 
Just a typical Tuesday, I had bunks run out on me in challenge, was covered in hives, and worked till a little after midnight.
I also went on a run, got to belay lots, made friends with Emanuel (a camper) and ate peaches. Those things were happy. 
This morning I decided to forget what happened yesterday and make today great. 
The bunk that I ran through ropes course this morning didn't try to physically fight with each other! While curse words were flying everywhere while they were up on the ropes I didn't really care because they were also cheering one another on. Boo ya. It was just a brief second,but that brief second held glimmers of relationships that are there and held close like a family. 
I had my trail kids up with me this afternoon and I ran the pamper pole with them. I was so happy when Adam, my camper who is limited verbal climbed up 6 rungs on the ladder and communicated that he was done. 
Before each camper climbs we ask them what their goal is, Rayon kept saying to superman! Right before he got on the ladder he looks at me and says for superman, and my sister! He took a step up and decided that was enough. Suddenly there was a second wind of courage and Rayon climbed up 4 rungs on the ladder. The kids were cheering like crazy and he just can't stop smiling!
This is why I love this place. 
Small acts are celebrated every day and these kids really do love each other, even if they fight, even if they call each other names, even if they say that everyone hates them or that they don't like anybody.
I also love how pure everyone's thought process is. Rayon loves superman, and he loves his sister. 
The small things pull me through each day. 
I want to have some epic conclusion or reflection to this story. . . i'm still processing. 
This is what I know. 
Happiness comes from our choices.
I'm choosing happiness. 
Choosing to see the good in each day. 
Helping others to make those choices as well
no matter how hard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment